Wednesday 1 May 2013

The Fashion Frontier / An Update

Yes, I am still alive, despite all your worries! I have to apologize blogosphere, for taking a much needed and slightly clandestine leave-of-absence from any serious writing here at Dylan In The City. A very busy beginning to the year, both on a personal and professional level, has been quite the trip. From shows, to photo shoots, to very busy salon days, and to personal commitments! My life needed a tune-down, and I refrained for a bit from any events and anything outside of my day-to-day work as a hairstylist, including blogging, to be completely and totally honest. But Spring is here in Toronto, finally! And the energy of blue skies and bright sunshine is not without it's perks. I have a lot to say about where I'm headed and a lot to say about what I plan to do this year - with this blog, with my path, and with Fashion in this enigmatic city of ours.

For quite a while, even before I started writing here, I've been dwindling and balancing between the worlds of Fashion and Beauty. As a busy hairstylist, I am constantly grounded to my trade work day-in and day-out that comes before anything else. I've built a long-standing clientele and have worked tirelessly and passionately within this industry for almost 7 years. Though both Fashion and Beauty are totally related and intermixable industries, there is a gap that exists, and it exists only for the professional behind it (as opposed to the media in front of it). I've enjoyed the privilege, honour, and pleasure of changing people's lives, their actual energy and pride, with the work that I do - but I believe I am officially over with it. And I don't mean for that to sound negative, because it isn't. My relationship with Beauty will be an honourable one, something that has forever changed me. But recently, in my dive into Fashion freelancing, I find myself gravitating towards the apex of an industry that powers itself from clothes, and not hair. I feel myself being drawn to an industry I've been obsessed with for years, and it's just finally come to a point where I had to make a decision to be a hairstylist in Fashion, or be Fashion. So, to be frank, I've decided to leave the Beauty industry that I've spent an innumerable amount of energy, hours, and incredible experiences in. Like a bittersweet break-up, it is both sad and exciting. I feel that I followed my heart into hair, and I also am following it to leave it behind. I dream now of working with clothes, working within the industry, and turning my freelance creativity, journalism, and vision into an editorial career. I want to take Fashion further, further in Canada and further in the World; further than a Salon position would allow me. This is why I've been so absent lately - a lot of introspection, a lot of challenges to consider, and even more sensitivities between clients and myself. Though, I'm happy to say, most people have been outrageously supportive.

I plan to return to school this fall to learn and specialize in Fashion as an industry and business. My intention is to nurture what I've already learned in my years of working behind-the-chair both in Fashion and in-Salon, and to also learn more how the industry works and I where I can find my fit. I have dreams of working in Editorials and Editing, taking Fashion back to a time of opulent and striking visuals - I want my creativity, my writing, and my view of Fashion to be heard; and I am more than willing to put the work in that I need to. School will present me with the tools, and I can't even describe how excited I am to run with them after it's complete. With the start of a new direction into a new career, I have also decided to launch an exciting new project scheduled for a Fall/Winter release this year. A project that will re-define Fashion Media in Toronto and provide a source unlike any other. A project that will jump leaps and bounds ahead of an ordinary, innocent blog like this and into an arena of cutting-edge, high-end fabulousness. A project that will be the precursor to the beginning of the legacy I intend to leave in this industry.


I can't say what it is, and I can't jump ahead of myself. But, in all fairness, I just wanted everyone to know. This is why I've been quiet, this is where I'm headed, and this is what I'm creating. I hope you all join me on the journey.

xoxo,
Dylan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insta-Dylan / @TheDylanDias

Readers

Search Designers

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Dylan Dias